7Zip password protect your files. By using 7Zip to archive or compress your files, you do not just organize and make the file smaller, but you can also have your data password protected with the 7Zip. And if your file is too important, the 7Zip supports AES-256 encryption to keep your data safe. That’s one of the most sophisticated and widely used security protocols by giant companies to date, which includes the CIA of U.S.
The 7Zip is one of the best archiving and compression tools in its field. It is even better than similar compression tools that are popular for some basic consumers. Also, 7Zip is not just about creating and extracting ZIP and RAR files. It supports the most number of compression formats that exist today.
On that note, it is one of the factors that make 7Zip a powerful tool in its focused field. Whether it’s for Windows, Mac, or 7Zip for Linux OSes. And if you want your files to get the highest security from a simple archiving tool, you cannot go wrong with password protect on 7Zip. Do you want proof to know which is the best tool, 7Zip vs WinRAR? Visit 7Zip Help.
Why Do You Need Password Protect on 7Zip?
7Zip also takes advantage of the present processors that are developed with multi-core capability. As a matter of fact, it is used on benchmark tests to measure a certain processing unit’s full capacity. So it is not just a tool for file compression and decompression, it is also a tool for professionals for testing computing machines.
This is also helpful when you are trying to send ZIP files through email or any messaging platform. The password protect on 7Zip will help keep the files secured and accessible to its intended recipient only. To share the password that can open the protected file, try sending it through a different platform like through text message or a different messaging app.
Anyway, this is just an example. You can always use other arrangements and other ways to exchange information in place of a typically secured communication. The password is an indication that 7Zip is safe.
How to Use Password Protect on 7Zip?
The password protects on 7Zip is useful when you have important files on a shared computer. This will make your personal or business documents only accessible by you and you alone.
This is where it gets more interesting. The 7Zip uses the simplest approach in creating a password-protected file or archive. It uses a straightforward method that even a child can do it in just a few clicks.
Since you came here to find out how to use password protect on 7Zip, we will give you what you came here for. You will be delighted to know how simple the steps are. Anyway, here is the brief step-by-step guide on how to use password protection on 7Zip.
To take advantage of the benefits of 7Zip as well as to learn how to use 7Zip of course, you have to download and install it first on your computer. The following is a guide on how to do it:
- The first you need to do it make sure you have 7Zip installed on your Windows or 7Zip for Mac system. If you have not yet installed one, you may download an installer from the 7Zip download page.
- The file is just around 1.5MB so you should have the installer in just a couple of seconds.
- Install 7Zip by double-clicking on the installer.
- Once the installation finishes, you should be able to see 7Zip on the system menu when you right-click on your mouse.
- If not, restart your operating system for the installation to take effect.
How to Recover 7Zip Password
If you forgot your 7Zip password, you can try to recover it either by guessing or you can take help from several password recovery tools available.
If you have forgotten your 7Zip password and have no idea how to recover it, you can try a brute-force attack. A brute-force attack is a very effective method because it lets you change any combination of characters until you find one that works. This method can be used with any combination of capital and lower alphabets, numbers (0-9), printable characters, and special characters. It is the fastest way to open a 7Z file password. You may also use a masked attack which is very effective compared to the other two methods.
Another method is to use an automatic tool. This tool can guess any password, but it isn’t guaranteed to work, and it’s easy to select a bad one! You can also try dictionary search to recover your 7Zip password. This method is not as effective as brute-force attacks, but it works. You can use the password recovery software in the future if you remember it.
Using a software called Atomic ZPR is an excellent option if you have forgotten your ZIP password. It features a friendly user interface and auto-saves for peace of mind. A powerful dictionary attack is another option. The software is Windows-only. This means that it will work only with Windows 32-bit and 64-bit versions. You can download and install it for free and see if it works!
Another way to find out if you can recover your 7Zip password is to download the eSoftTools 7z Password Recovery tool. This program can unlock 7z archives using a number of different methods. It can be configured to recover passwords in both English and non-English languages. The program will also fix broken passwords using a mathematical probability concept. So, it can help you recover your 7Zip password easily and safely.
Another option is to use a tool called Passfab for ZIP. This third-party program can recover zip file passwords with all types of characters, including symbols and lowercase. A few steps are required to recover the password. Once you have successfully recovered the password, you can copy it and use it to open the locked zip file. You will also need a 7z compressor. This program can be downloaded from the official website.
eSoftTools 7z Password Recovery tool has an intuitive interface and will open password-protected 7z files. This program supports Brute-force and dictionary attacks. And it will automatically reveal the first three characters of the password. Therefore, you can recover 7z passwords in a few minutes. This software is the best solution if you have forgotten your 7Zip password. There is no limit to the size of your 7Zip file and it can recover passwords of any format.
Choosing the best method is important. If the 7Zip password was accidentally emailed to you, it’s likely that the file was encrypted using a 7z password. Regardless of the reason for sending the email, you must be sure that the person who sent it to you has 7-Zip installed on their computer. If you have 7Zip installed on your system, you may be able to extract it with a password recovery tool.
Password Protect on 7Zip
After installing 7zip, it’s time to increase the security of your files. Here is how you could activate the password protect feature from ZIP.
- Now, go to the file that you want to apply the password protect feature from 7Zip.
- Right-click on the file or if you want to put multiple files, all you need is to highlight all the files. You can do this by pressing the CTRL button from the keyword while clicking on the files that you want to include in the operation.
- Once you highlighted all the necessary files, press the right-click on your mouse to see the 7Zip option.
- Hover your mouse on the 7Zip to show all the menus under it.
- Now, find the “Add to Archive” and click on it to launch the 7Zip user interface.
- On the new 7Zip window, you will find the name of the compression file that you are going to create. You may rename it as you see fit or however, you want to call it.
- On the right side of the 7Zip window, you should see the “Encryption” portion. Under it, is the “Enter Password” blank tab, type in your preferred password inside it. Please be reminded that you have to use a password that is easy for you to remember and difficult for other people to guess.
- Type again the password on the “Reenter Password” empty tab.
- On the Encryption method, you may choose between ZipCrypto and AES-256.
- If you are not familiar with the other features on the 7Zip window, we suggest that you leave those alone for now. We will have some separate articles on what those features are all about.
- Now, if you think your password is good to go, click on the “OK” button at the bottom. This will initiate the compression process, and with it, the password protect feature.
- The speed of the compression process will depend on the size and quantity of the files. The bigger the file the longer that process is. If you are archiving files with the size of 500MB, it should take only 50-60 seconds.
- As soon as the compression finishes, the 7Zip windows will automatically close. But this time, you will be able to find a new file next to your ordinary files.
- That’s it. You have a compressed ZIP or 7Z file that cannot be extracted without your password.
As you can see, your original files are still there. You can choose to delete the original copies or have them saved on your external drives like USB stick or CD. You may also keep the original files on your cloud-based account, or you can save them on your smartphone.
If you want to check if the operation worked, right-click on the compressed file and choose extract. It should now ask you for the password. Fail to enter the correct password and you will get a zero-sized file.
The compressed and password-protected file will be safe where you put it. But if the files inside it are far too precious, we suggest to keep them safe and secured somewhere as well just for added precaution.
The password protect on 7Zip may sound so simple, but it comes really handy when it matters. This is true especially if you are accessing a shared or public computer. Having a password-protected file adds that security and peace of mind in case you happen to forget it somewhere. Or perhaps, someone wants to steal your work, and this extra security will lend a huge help to you.
If you have not heard of password protect on 7Zip, what other measures and apps that you use to protect your files like documents, pictures, and videos? Tell us in the comment section. We would love to know what you guys are up to before learning about this great feature.
If you have questions and suggestions related to this topic, please feel free to type your messages in the comment section as well. We will be monitoring the comments and participate as well from time to time. Let’s all keep a positive and helpful community. Thank you for reading this far.