7Zip for Mac OS is a great app that should be included on iTunes. As productivity is a concern on all Apple devices, the development of 7Zip would be a great delight for all its users. I mean, why not? It is the most powerful and secure archiving and file compression tool in its category and field.
So, you are one of the opulent citizens of the society or perhaps meticulous with the software and security, thus, you prefer using Mac computers. As a matter of fact, some programs and software for Windows and for Mac are programmed differently. This goes the same with 7Zip for Mac.
By default, Mac OS X is incapable of handling these files. But this shouldn’t be much of an issue as there are lots of free archiving apps available that can open a .7z file and other file compression formats.
The 7z file format is considered a better file compression format because of its high security and overall stability. It can compress any file much better than ZIP and RAR. This makes 7Zip safer and a much better choice.
A Walkthrough on 7Zip for Mac
Keep on reading as we are going to walk you through on the steps for opening .7z archive files regardless of what version of Mac OS you are using. Don’t worry, it is easy and quick to do. Here’s how it goes.
- Download “The Unarchiver” first. It is totally free just like 7Zip. And it can be downloaded from the Mac App Store. Just use iTunes and search for the app.
- The app is relatively small so you should be able to get it installed for a few seconds depending on your internet speed.
- As soon as The Unarchiver app finishes installing, open it and you will see the file association list.
- Launch the Unarchiver and there you’ll find the file association list, inform the Unarchiver to associate it with .7z files.
- The moment that you’ve associated the Unarchiver with .7z you could then double-click any .7z file on your Mac computer. It will then open and uncompress like other archive format or launch Unarchiver and just drag and drop the 7z files to the utility.
This is everything that you have to know in opening any .7z archive files saved on your Mac computer. After installing the UnArchiver and associated it with .7z 7-zip files, you may now launch the .7z archive simply by double-clicking on it. Inside the UnArchiver utility, your file will open and decompress the original 7z file. It will exit the app automatically when it is finished. It is possible to directly open the Unarchiver and open the file in the Unarchiver directly where it’ll be extracted.
Since 7zip archives have undergone a strong compression procedure, it sometimes takes a while in order to completely extract large 7z files. Don’t be surprised as well if the 7-Zip has expanded to something bigger than the original file size as the size of the archive. This is totally normal. Just be sure that you have enough disk space to accommodate all the uncompressed data.
Unarchiver is a well-known solution to all kinds of archive formats available on Mac. It’s been discussed as an alternative when you have to unRAR and open RAR files in Mac OS and it can open virtually any archive format you might come across. This can include but not limited to:
- bzip and;
Due to its expansive nature and free of charge, it is a wonderful addition to your Mac software toolkit. Well, it is comparable to a Swiss army knife but for computers.
The Complete Package
The Unarchiver provides support to every release of the Mac OS software that’s in use. This is regardless if you’re using the latest release, Sierra, macOS High Sierra, Mac OS X El Capitan, Mountain Lion, Mavericks, Snow Leopard, Yosemite and so forth. It’ll work and can get the job done in opening and decompressing zip as well as other archive formats available.