How to use 7-ZIP to archive and compress your files? 7Zip is a great file compression and archiving tool. However, it’s unfortunate how only professionals and advanced users are the ones who know about it. So to give credit to this amazing tool, we will teach you a simple guide on how to use 7Zip. You can also 7zip download from our site.
There are too many file compression programs available online and among the most commonly used nowadays are WinZip and WinRAR. On the other hand, a lesser-known choice is 7Zip. It is free and has the smallest compression compared to the prior options.
The thing is, not many are aware that it is available till the time that it is introduced to them. Thus, they are often clueless about how to use 7Zip or the benefits it has to offer. They are also not aware that it can also have archive errors sometimes.
Is 7Zip safe? Which is a better tool, 7Zip vs WinRAR? Those are the few questions you need to learn after exploring how to use 7Zip so you can manage the 7Zip command line.
What is 7Zip?
Well, 7Zip as mentioned earlier, is a file archiver coupled with a high compression ratio both for GZIP and ZIP formats. This is between 2 to 10 percent better than other tools available.
7Zip boosts its own format delivering a high compression ratio that is roughly 40 percent higher. This is primarily because 7Zip is using LZMA as well as LZMA compression. In addition, it has dictionary sizes and superb compression settings.
Zip tool has gained its appeal and worldwide interests primarily because of its ability to compress files efficiently. However, this doesn’t stop 7Zip to show that it can match the bigger and more established names in the industry.
How to Install 7Zip
After the 7Zip download and launching, you will be amazed by how easy and simple to navigate through its user interface. In downloading 7Zip for Mac or Linux, just follow the steps discussed.
- Go to 7Zip’s home page and choose the version you wish to download.
- As of this writing, these are the versions available.
- Choose the version you want and click on the “Download” button.
- A new window appears which asks you what directory you like to install the program. Choose the destination folder you wish to save the program and click “Install”.
- Once the 7Zip is installed, hit the “Finish” button.
That’s everything you have to do. Now, let’s proceed on how to use 7Zip and other vital product details and information.
Inside the window, you’ll see the main toolbar containing the most useful features and other menus that let you dig deeper and be accustomed to its UI. Some of the features are briefly discussed below:
- Extract – a button that allows you to accept or browse for the default destination path for your file easily.
- View – this menu contains the “Folder History” as well as the “Favorites” menu which allows you to save to as much as ten folders.
7Zip can integrate with the Windows Explorer menu which displays archive files as folders. At the same time, it provides a toolbar with a drag-and-drop feature. It is possible as well to switch between a single or even dual-pane view. 7Zip password protect can help you protect the program.
How to Use 7-Zip: Compression
We’ve discussed and learned the installation procedure as well as a quick overview for 7Zip. Now, we will move on to properly use 7Zip both for compressing files and extracting them. At first, let’s proceed with compressing files.
- Step number 1. Open 7Zip File Manager.
- Step number 2. Click on what file you wish to compress and click “Add”. This will identify the file that you need compress.
- Step number 3. “Add to Archive” window is going to pop up. Ensure that your Archive format is set to “Zip” and then hit the “OK” button.
- Step number 4. 7Zip will now process the file and compress it in a zip file that’s located in the same destination where the original file is.
How to Make 7Zip Default Windows 10
There are several ways to make the 7Zip archiver as the default setting for Windows 10. the simplest method is by changing the file associations from within the 7zip.
If you’re using Windows 10, you’ll probably want to know how to make 7Zip your default zip file utility. This application is great for compressing and unpacking a wide range of file types, but it may not be as feature rich as competing products. However, you can still make it your go-to zip app by following a few simple steps.
In order to set 7Zip as your default file manager, you first need to open up the Settings app. Once you open the Settings app, navigate to the Default Apps section. Next, find the 7Zip option from the list. Click the right + icon to apply the association to all users.
The next step is to change the default location of the 7Zip program. You can also do this by navigating to the Default programs section. When you do this, the window will open and you’ll be able to browse a list of folders and choose a destination.
To make the most of your 7Zip files, you’ll need to choose a good compression method. There are several options available, and it’s important to pick the one that best suits your needs. For example, if you’re looking for the highest compression ratio possible, you might want to use solid compression. Or, you could try data deduplication.
You’ll also want to set a registry backup. This can help you restore your system in the event of problems. Make sure you do this with a trusted computer. It’s important to make a backup because the registry is prone to corruption.
Once you’ve installed the program and set it as your default zip file utility, you’ll need to set it up to work with all types of file formats. Some of the most common file types you can associate with 7zip are images, PDFs, and videos. But, you can also make it your default archiver for other types of files.
While 7Zip is a great file manager, there are other free archivers you can download and use to get your files zipped and unzipped quickly and easily. Some of these applications offer advanced functionality, including the ability to compress whole folders into one ZIP file. Using these third-party file archivers can make your life easier, particularly if you frequently use large archives.
As with any other application, you’ll want to make sure you have the right permissions. You need to have administrator privileges to run 7Zip and to create new files. During installation, you’ll be asked for a directory to install the program in. Choose a suitable directory and then click “Install.” After this, you’ll be able to continue with your work.
Although this app is free and easy to use, you might be surprised to learn that it’s not as feature rich as competing products. That’s mainly due to its small size. However, you can still make it your default zip utility by following the simple steps outlined in this article. Just remember that it can be tricky to select the correct options.
When extracting files, there are 5 straightforward steps you need to do. Just check the instructions below.
- Select the files that you want to extract.
- Choose files you wish to extract and press right-click. This will open a new menu.
- Hover over the “7Zip” option.
- Choose “Extract Here”. This brings up a new window that shows the progress as well as the remaining time before extracting the file.
- Wait for it to finish. The extracted file will appear in the same directory where you have all RAR or 7Zip files in.
7Zip is offering multiple features which makes it one of the best and most effective software compression tools that deliver the lowest compressed data. Few of its remarkable specs are:
- Open Architecture – the source code is using GNU LGPL license while the unRAR code is a combination of license with unRAR + GNU LGPL restrictions.
- High Compression Ratio – by taking advantage of its own 7z format w/ LZMA as well as LZMA2 compression, it allows 7Z to achieve a 40 percent compression ratio or higher compared to its peers. For GZIP and ZIP formats, 7Z delivers a compression ratio that’s 2 to 10 percent better compared to WinZip and PKZip.
- Strong AES-256 encryption – this one includes both encryption and password protection of filenames and files.
- Ability to use multiple encryptions, conversion or compression methods – to give you an example, 7Z can support several packing as well as unpacking for XZ, GZIP, ZIP, TAR, WIM, and 7z It also has support for a self-extracting ability for 7z format.
- Integrates with Windows Shell – by using the menu options, it is feasible to integrate 7z to the Windows Shell menu.
These are the spec sheet that made 7Zip a strong competitor among the leading compression tools on the web. The best part, 7z is available and downloadable free of charge! If you’re afraid that you don’t know how to use 7Zip, which stops you from switching, follow the steps above. Start to enjoy the lowest compression at no price.