How to use 7-ZIP to archive and compress your files? 7Zip is a great file compression and archiving tool. However, it’s unfortunate how only professionals and advanced users are the ones who know about it. So to give credit to this amazing tool, we will teach you a simple guide on how to use 7Zip. You can also 7zip download from our site.
There are too many file compression programs available online and among the most commonly used nowadays are WinZip and WinRAR. On the other hand, a lesser-known choice is 7Zip. It is free and has the smallest compression compared to the prior options.
The thing is, not many are aware that it is available till the time that it is introduced to them. Thus, they are often clueless about how to use 7Zip or the benefits it has to offer. They are also not aware that it can also have archive errors sometimes.
Is 7Zip safe? Which is a better tool, 7Zip vs WinRAR? Those are the few questions you need to learn after exploring how to use 7Zip so you can manage the 7Zip command line.
What is 7Zip?
Well, 7Zip as mentioned earlier, is a file archiver coupled with a high compression ratio both for GZIP and ZIP formats. This is between 2 to 10 percent better than other tools available.
7Zip boosts its own format delivering a high compression ratio that is roughly 40 percent higher. This is primarily because 7Zip is using LZMA as well as LZMA compression. In addition, it has dictionary sizes and superb compression settings.
Zip tool has gained its appeal and worldwide interests primarily because of its ability to compress files efficiently. However, this doesn’t stop 7Zip to show that it can match the bigger and more established names in the industry.
How to Install 7Zip
After the 7Zip download and launching, you will be amazed by how easy and simple to navigate through its user interface. In downloading 7Zip for Mac or Linux, just follow the steps discussed.
- Go to 7Zip’s home page and choose the version you wish to download.
- As of this writing, these are the versions available.
- Choose the version you want and click on the “Download” button.
- A new window appears which asks you what directory you like to install the program. Choose the destination folder you wish to save the program and click “Install”.
- Once the 7Zip is installed, hit the “Finish” button.
That’s everything you have to do. Now, let’s proceed on how to use 7Zip and other vital product details and information.
Inside the window, you’ll see the main toolbar containing the most useful features and other menus that let you dig deeper and be accustomed to its UI. Some of the features are briefly discussed below:
- Extract – a button that allows you to accept or browse for the default destination path for your file easily.
- View – this menu contains the “Folder History” as well as the “Favorites” menu which allows you to save to as much as ten folders.
7Zip can integrate with the Windows Explorer menu which displays archive files as folders. At the same time, it provides a toolbar with a drag-and-drop feature. It is possible as well to switch between a single or even dual-pane view. 7Zip password protect can help you protect the program.
How to Use 7-Zip: Compression
We’ve discussed and learned the installation procedure as well as a quick overview for 7Zip. Now, we will move on to properly use 7Zip both for compressing files and extracting them. At first, let’s proceed with compressing files.
- Step number 1. Open 7Zip File Manager.
- Step number 2. Click on what file you wish to compress and click “Add”. This will identify the file that you need compress.
- Step number 3. “Add to Archive” window is going to pop up. Ensure that your Archive format is set to “Zip” and then hit the “OK” button.
- Step number 4. 7Zip will now process the file and compress it in a zip file that’s located in the same destination where the original file is.
How to Make 7Zip Default Windows 10
There are several ways to make the 7Zip archiver as the default setting for Windows 10. the simplest method is by changing the file associations from within the 7zip.
Whether you’re a professional file manager or just a home user, it’s easy to make 7Zip your default zip file opener. The free open source tool is designed for ease of use and provides a quick view of the file’s contents. It supports a wide range of archive file formats. You can save the file to up to ten different folders. You can also choose between solid and non-solid compression methods to achieve the best possible compression ratio. It’s easy to see why 7Zip is considered a must-have file management application.
The first step in making 7Zip your default zip file opener is to download and install the application. Once you’ve completed the installation process, you’ll be prompted to select a destination folder to save your new zip file to. You can browse your computer’s default path to find a suitable folder to save the file. Once you’ve selected a folder, you can click on “Install” to begin using the app. You may also choose to install the app in a different location than you originally did.
The next step is to select the “Set defaults by file type” option in the Windows Settings app. This section of the Windows Settings app allows you to select the app that should open a ZIP file when you right-click on it. The settings are customizable, so you can decide to use Windows’ own Zip file opener or select another application. If you prefer a third-party application, you can download and install it as a free download. You can then configure it to open a ZIP file automatically when your PC starts up.
The Windows 10 Settings app also includes a Zip file association option. The Windows 10 Settings app also has other cool things to do. You can change the default applications, as well as add and remove PowerShell scripts. You can also make Windows 10 open a ZIP file automatically when you right-click on it. You can even add a registry backup to your Windows 10 system to restore your default apps in the event of an error.
In the Windows 10 Settings app, you can also set 7-Zip as your default zip file opener for specific file types. This is a good idea if you have a lot of files to compress, or if you want to prevent the program from opening a ZIP file when it’s not necessary. You can also choose to use a higher compression level than your computer’s default zip tool. You can also add or remove file types from the list. You can even change the name of your default zip program to something more memorable.
Changing the name of your default zip program can have a big impact on your computer. It’s important to back up your registry before making any changes to the registry, so you don’t lose any files. You can also install third-party file archive software to replace Explorer as your default ZIP opener.
When extracting files, there are 5 straightforward steps you need to do. Just check the instructions below.
- Select the files that you want to extract.
- Choose files you wish to extract and press right-click. This will open a new menu.
- Hover over the “7Zip” option.
- Choose “Extract Here”. This brings up a new window that shows the progress as well as the remaining time before extracting the file.
- Wait for it to finish. The extracted file will appear in the same directory where you have all RAR or 7Zip files in.
7Zip is offering multiple features which makes it one of the best and most effective software compression tools that deliver the lowest compressed data. Few of its remarkable specs are:
- Open Architecture – the source code is using GNU LGPL license while the unRAR code is a combination of license with unRAR + GNU LGPL restrictions.
- High Compression Ratio – by taking advantage of its own 7z format w/ LZMA as well as LZMA2 compression, it allows 7Z to achieve a 40 percent compression ratio or higher compared to its peers. For GZIP and ZIP formats, 7Z delivers a compression ratio that’s 2 to 10 percent better compared to WinZip and PKZip.
- Strong AES-256 encryption – this one includes both encryption and password protection of filenames and files.
- Ability to use multiple encryptions, conversion or compression methods – to give you an example, 7Z can support several packing as well as unpacking for XZ, GZIP, ZIP, TAR, WIM, and 7z It also has support for a self-extracting ability for 7z format.
- Integrates with Windows Shell – by using the menu options, it is feasible to integrate 7z to the Windows Shell menu.
These are the spec sheet that made 7Zip a strong competitor among the leading compression tools on the web. The best part, 7z is available and downloadable free of charge! If you’re afraid that you don’t know how to use 7Zip, which stops you from switching, follow the steps above. Start to enjoy the lowest compression at no price.